A world-renowned research and educational establishment.
The Head of Finance in the organisation is a leadership role reporting directly to the organisation's Associate Head of Department and Directors of Finance and Operations. This position is responsible for overseeing financial management across all the organisation's units, centres, institutes, and strategic functions. The Head of Finance leads a team that includes Deputy Heads of Finance, Finance Managers, and a shared service team. Key responsibilities include:
Financial Management and Forecasting: The role involves enhancing departmental reporting and processes, proactively identifying areas for improvement, and ensuring adherence to finance policies and procedures. It also involves providing financial support to strategic initiatives, overseas programmes, and the development of the organisation's rolling 5-year strategic plan.
Business Relationship Management: Building strong relationships with various stakeholders, including Business Managers, overseas COOs and CFOs, is essential. The Head of Finance conducts regular reviews, manages and communicates risks, and collaborates to develop solutions. They also define Service Level Agreements, KPIs, and performance measurements.
Strategic Development and Planning: The role contributes to strategic discussions, supports cost/benefit analyses of new initiatives, and develops forecasts for potential financial swings. It involves collaborating with the Head of Capital Projects and Facilities to plan equipment replacement, capital projects, and facilities refurbishment. The Head of Finance assesses changes to university policies and procedures and provides advice on subsidiary company financial management.
Leadership: Leadership responsibilities include managing a team of direct reports, promoting professional services strategy and values, and engaging with various stakeholders. The role also involves promoting internal communications and supporting the organisation's Head of Communications.
Other Duties: The Head of Finance chairs committees and represents the organisation's Professional Services on various university, divisional, departmental, and external committees. They may also participate in public engagement and widening access activities.
Who we're looking for:
- Hold an accounting qualification such as ACA, CIMA, ACCA, CIPFA.
- A strong track record in leading, managing and developing teams of finance professionals.
- Relevant experience in an accounting environment with proven management accounting, budgeting and strong analytical skills.
- A sound understanding of foreign exchange management.
- Demonstrable significant experience in communicating financial, management accounts, processes and functions to non-financial staff, including senior management and administrators. In particular, demonstrable experience in negotiating with and persuading non-accountants.
- Effective change manager with a proven track record of proactively analysing and successfully driving change activity and high levels of customer service.
- Strong understanding of ERP systems, including experience of using such systems and strong Excel skills.
- Experience in a higher education and/or research environment.
What you can expect in return:
- 6 month contract
- £350-550 per day umbrella company